Shocking Package Theft Facts You Should Know
Before we go into the steps of how to prevent package theft, below are some of the shocking package theft facts and stats you should know.
- Roughly 26 million Americans had packages stolen from their front porch or doorstep during the holidays in 2017, according to a survey.
- Surprisingly the majority of package theft occurred during the day when no one is home.
- Oakland, Baltimore, Atlanta, San Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Portland, Washington, and Sacramento are the top ten cities in US with the most Amazon package thefts.
- Package theft victims spent an average of $200 to replace each stolen package.
Ways to Catch a Package Thief
- Security Cameras are a must have when trying to capture evidence of theft. Consider installing a Bee-Safe Smart Camera at your front door to watch over deliveries and unwanted visitors. Our 4K high definition cameras are great for catching porch pirates. Take it a step further and install a license plate camera positioned specifically for recording plate numbers.
- Door Bell Cameras are affordable devices that can capture video of package thieves. The devices are available for purchase through Bee-Safe and can be installed within a couple hours.
- Neighborhood Watch programs are a great way to keep in touch with your neighbors about recent thefts. Sharing information with others can help keep everyone informed and alert.
How to Prevent Package Theft
- Have your package delivered to your work.
- Have your package delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
- Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.
- Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. Amazon offers a “locker” feature that allows you to pick up your package from a secure location.
- Request that your package has signature confirmation upon delivery.
- Ask your carrier to place package in an area out of plain view.
1. Don’t Advertise on Social Media
Refrain from posting your travel plans on social media sites. Even with privacy settings turned on, you still never know who could see your holidays plans.
2. Install an Alarm System
Consider installing Bee-Safe security system, that allows you to check on your home while away and even arm and disarm your system from any laptop or cell phone.
3. Use Security Signs Around Your Home
An affordable option regardless if you have an alarm system or not is to display security signage around your home. This includes window and door stickers along with yard signs.
4. Use Automatic Light Timers
Inside and outside lights should be set on automatic timers to turn lights on and off at various times throughout the night. A double pack of automatic light timers can be purchased on Amazon for less than $15 here.
5. LOCK All Doors & Windows
Before you leave your home be sure to check that all windows and doors are locked. This includes second story and basement windows.
6. Never Leave a Key Under a Rock or Doormat
The first place a criminal will look for a spare key is under a door mat or objects near the door. Any spare keys for your home should be properly secured in a wall mounted lock box that is out of sight.
7. Install a Smart Camera
According to the US National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the sale of firearms till October 2020, has already surpassed the previous annual record set in 2016.
According to experts, this year’s spike in gun sales came when the COVID-19 pandemic hit the US in March, making it the worst-infected nation in the world. A picture also emerged when people went to buy food items before the lockdown and then to buy weapons and returned home.
The NSSF said over 17.2 million background checks were conducted for gun owners who purchased guns this year, compared it to 15.7 million checks for firearm sales in 2016, the year which saw the record sale.
Demand for guns has increased every month across the US since March. The group determined that every month in 2020 since March has “been the strongest of that month ever recorded”. In October alone, background checks were conducted for more than 1.7 million firearms buyers, an increase of over 60% compared to the same period in 2019.
The most surprising thing is that 17.2 million guns have been sold in 2020, out of these 5 million guns were purchased by first-time buyers. The first reason behind this is the ongoing ‘Black Lives Matter’ protests against police brutality in many states of America, which have witnessed many incidents of violence and vandalism, and the other is the Coronavirus pandemic.
Gun sales are expected to increase even more during the holiday season. November and December have always been considered the busiest months of the year for the sale of guns.
Though gun control is a sensitive issue in the US because, for most American people, owning a firearm is tied to their personal freedom. According to a study, on average, there are 120 guns for every 100 US residents. Recently, after the firing in many public places, demand has also grown that owning a firearm be made more strict in the US. However, the huge sales of weapons this year do not make it easy to do so.