How to Catch Porch Pirates and Prevent Holiday Package Theft
Shocking Package Theft Facts You Should Know
Before we go into the steps of how to prevent package theft, below are some of the shocking package theft facts and stats you should know.
- Roughly 26 million Americans had packages stolen from their front porch or doorstep during the holidays in 2017, according to a survey.
- Surprisingly the majority of package theft occurred during the day when no one is home.
- Oakland, Baltimore, Atlanta, San Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Portland, Washington, and Sacramento are the top ten cities in US with the most Amazon package thefts.
- Package theft victims spent an average of $200 to replace each stolen package.
Ways to Catch a Package Thief
- Security Cameras are a must have when trying to capture evidence of theft. Consider installing a Bee-Safe Smart Camera at your front door to watch over deliveries and unwanted visitors. Our 4K high definition cameras are great for catching porch pirates. Take it a step further and install a license plate camera positioned specifically for recording plate numbers.
- Door Bell Cameras are affordable devices that can capture video of package thieves. The devices are available for purchase through Bee-Safe and can be installed within a couple hours.
- Neighborhood Watch programs are a great way to keep in touch with your neighbors about recent thefts. Sharing information with others can help keep everyone informed and alert.
How to Prevent Package Theft
- Have your package delivered to your work.
- Have your package delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
- Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.
- Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. Amazon offers a “locker” feature that allows you to pick up your package from a secure location.
- Request that your package has signature confirmation upon delivery.
- Ask your carrier to place package in an area out of plain view.